Problems - ScoutHelp

If you have and problems you SHOULD report it to you local highway authority or council. They have a legal duty to sort it out. Even if they pass the complaint to another organisation or individual like the land owner they still need to know about it so they can track the process of it and make sure the problems cleared up.

You can try and contact the land owner your self if you would prefer to but this is often difficult and very time-consuming. There are many legal obstacles that you may encounter if you if you do decide to take it up your self. Even thought this is the easiest way to sort small problems out.

What do I need to report?

You should report things about damaged fences, very over grown pathways anything that you think is wrong with a path or field.

When reporting things you need to try and give as much information as you can about what's wrongs, when you saw it and where it is. You should try and give grid references if you can or make the place on the map, sometimes taking pictures is a good way of doing it. You should give the time and date in which you noticed it and you name, address and contact number just encase they need your help. Also mention if you have talk to the landowner or occupier.

What do I do after reporting something?

There's not a lot you can do! The highway authority have to investigate all complaints as quickly as it can, but that they have hundreds, often thousands, of miles of land to look after.

District and parish councils have powers to take action or to require the highway authority to act, you could try and raise the issue with one or more local councilors.

What if I am unhappy with the outcome?

You can ask the local conical or the Local Ombudsman to investigate how the complaint was handled. They can look for excessive delays and neglect of there duty. Most authorities respect the Ombudsman’s findings and act on them, although they are not bound to do so.

It is also possible to apply to the magistrate’s court for an order compelling the highway authority. The initial steps of this procedure are relatively simple, and may prompt the authority to resolve the problem. Before applying to a magistrates court you should obtain legal advice, either independently or a group just so that you know what you are getting your self into.

Initiating your own prosecution against a land manager is a difficult matter. Not only are the circumstances in which an individual can take such action very limited, but you will also need to consider carefully the evidence that you will have to produce to secure a conviction, and the consequences should you fail to do so. Before taking this course of action, seek legal advice. It will almost invariably be preferable to persuade the authority to take such action than to do so yourself.